Diana Marin Law, LLC
Schedule a free consultation

Morristown Family Law Blog

Biological father appeals to high court re child custody issues

In New Jersey and most other states, many households with children include parents of the same sex. As in cases where opposite sex parents decide to end their relationship, parents of the same sex often wind up facing child custody litigation when they disagree about where the child or children in question should live. In one such case, a biological father has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to hear his appeal.

The man had been involved in a relationship with another man and they agreed to have and raise a child together. They wound up parenting twins, who were conceived through the biological father's sperm and the sister of the other man. The biological mother agreed to sign documents to abdicate her parental rights and to remain active as an aunt. She gave birth to twins and sometime later, the two men argued over infidelity and decided to end their relationship.

How will a New Jersey court divide your pension after a divorce?

For a divorcing couple, pension plans, retirement accounts and estate plans can be particularly tricky to work out. It is you or your legal team’s responsibility to update the New Jersey Division of Pensions and Benefits of any changes to marital status, but what changes can you expect in return? Where do you begin?

Mediation: A good option to obtain a divorce in New Jersey

When two New Jersey spouses determine that their relationship is no longer sustainable, they may decide to part ways. Divorce is never easy and some cases are definitely more challenging or emotionally upsetting than others. Many spouses wish they could simply tie up the necessary loose ends and move on in separate ways, in which case mediation may be the best option for them.

Agreeing to attend mediated sessions to achieve a settlement is one of numerous ways to obtain a divorce in this state. Collaborative law and litigation are two other options. When spouses choose mediation, they agree to peacefully resolve differences and attempt to avoid confrontation. This means there may certain topics that spouses agree to avoid during their sessions, such as an extramarital affair or other problem issues that may have led to their decision to divorce.

Same-sex divorce: Issues that can complicate proceedings

Romantic relationships between people of the same sex continue to be a hot button topic in  New Jersey and elsewhere. There are typically many extenuating issues that intersect or, at least, influence this controversial topic, such as religion, political views or, even, ethnicity. No matter what a man or woman personally believes, same-sex marriage is legally permitted in all 50 states, which has led to many complex situations involving same-sex divorce.

In states that do not recognize common law marriage, people of the same sex who lived together long before obtaining a marriage license often encounter challenges regarding marital property. No matter how long a couple has shared a residence, if common law marriage is not recognized, marital property only includes assets acquired during legal marriage. Same-sex divorce can also get complicated regarding child custody issues.

What if post-divorce real estate issues arise?

If you are currently navigating the New Jersey civil justice system because you and your spouse decided to sever marital ties, you may have already encountered and overcome numerous legal challenges. It is important to note, however, that finalizing a divorce does not always eradicate every legal issue. In fact, in certain aspects, your problems may just be beginning, such as if you have to sell your home and find a new place to live or you need to modify the terms of your existing estate plan. Post-divorce real estate issues can impede your ability to move on in life.

Buying and selling homes can be quite stressful, even for those who have not recently come away from divorce proceedings. Property liquidation, title transfers and other issues can be complex and difficult to resolve. If you have children or if your divorce was contentious, you may already be feeling overwhelmed and worried about the future.

How to avoid child custody problems during summer vacation

Divorce undoubtedly prompts many changes in the day-to-day life of a New Jersey family. Most parents try to think ahead so they will have a plan in mind as they help their children cope and move on to a new lifestyle. When summer vacation from school rolls around, however, it can create many child custody issues that co-parents must work together to try to resolve.

The best way to avoid custody-related problems during summer is to discuss the issue far in advance. In fact, many parents write out specific terms that they then incorporate into their co-parenting agreement. Parents can customize their plans to fit their particular needs and to keep their children's best interests in mind.

Child custody: What unmarried parents should know

Not every New Jersey parent facing child custody issues is married. Many child custody situations involve co-parents who have never been married. Unlike divorce, where proceedings typically include property division or alimony issues, unmarried parents do not have to worry about such things. There are still numerous legal issues they might have to resolve, however.

In this state, a man must establish paternity before pursuing custody litigation. The mother's status is presumed, whether or not she is married. There may also be situations where a paternity test is required because a man denies that he is a child's father when another parent is petitioning the court for child support. It's also possible that one may be necessary in order to pursue claims for fathers' rights in court.

LGBTQ laws: Not all states created equal

The 2015 Supreme Court ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges was a huge win for same-sex couples. Finally, all states were required to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples and all marriages were recognized nationwide regardless of the jurisdiction in which the couple wed.

However, nearly four years after the Supreme Court settled same-sex marriage, inequalities still exist in many states - especially when it comes to family law.

Child support modifications require court approval

If a New Jersey parent is unable to meet a court-ordered child support obligation, he or she may petition the court for a change. A judge overseeing such a case would review the petition to determine if there is evidence of need, then grant or deny requests for modifications to an existing court order. A recent case in another state involved a woman whose ex had failed to pay child support for nearly 50 years.

She and her husband divorced in 1969. A year later, the man was ordered to make child support payments until his daughter reached age 18. Instead of adhering to the court order, however, the man reportedly wrote a bad check for the first payment, then moved to Canada and started a family with another woman. The man's former wife said that although she and her daughter lived a happy life together, they always struggled financially.

Things to know when seeking court order modifications

Many New Jersey married couples are preparing for divorce or have recently finalized their settlements. It is not uncommon for judges to issue court orders in such situations, perhaps regarding child support or alimony payments. As time passes, former spouses often have the need to seek court order modifications.

If a parent is making child support payments, any number of life-changes may occur that impedes his or her ability to continue making payments on time. For instance, a sudden job loss or medical emergency could definitely cause serious financial distress. A paying parent might also be inclined to seek lower payments if his or her former spouse receives a substantial pay raise or marries again and adds income to his or her household.

Email Our Team

Call 973-867-7730 Today.You can also send me an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Free 30-minute consultations | Virtual meetings available

Brand credit cards

Morristown Office
89 Headquarters Plaza
North Tower, Suite 1444
Morristown, NJ 07960

Phone: 973-867-7730
Map & Directions

Upper Montclair Office
622-624 Valley Road
Upper Montclair, NJ 07043

Map & Directions